Tuesday 6 September 2011

The perfect housewife - Not me.


My notice board at uni. I couldn't even fit it all in the picture, but you get the idea. 
This blog post centres around the ideas and ideals of the "Perfect Housewife," and my inability to relate to said ideals.

Blogging from my newly moved in uni room, looking around the bare walls and back-to-basic living conditions, I ask myself: "Am I content to sit here with substandard curtains, and mismatching furniture?" The answer, quite frankly, is yes.

I have no desire to improve my living conditions to any drastic length... I am, after all, a uni student. I'm meant to be living somewhat akin to the downtrodden heroes of classic literature - think Oliver (from Oliver
) or erm... Well to be honest, I'm not a big reader, but I'm sure there are more suiting examples... -_-

It's not like I'm living in squalor... far from it. I just have no intentions to equip myself with soft furnishings and fancy throws... I have a notice board currently consisting of my NHS medical card, and a post-it found in a package from my dad. I have a feeling even those might not last long up there. I may stretch to a calender, for practical purposes... but aesthetically, they serve no function. Indeed, it has been the subject of a few conversations last year at my severe lack of "homely" touches to my room at halls. 



This isn't me, but I want to know how he gets his hair so shiny... :')
If I had been born a more proactive/artistic person, I'd say "Sure. My room could do with a art Deco desk lamp. Why not? Yes, I could turn that wall into a fancy-schmancy 'feature wall...' It would be a great 'focal point' for the eyes." (is it obvious that I spent most of my gap-year watching 60-Minute Makeover...? :| ) Unfortunately, I wasn't born that person. Instead, I was born not to care. And it is this lack of care that I pride myself on. For it leaves me more time to focus on the more important aspects on life (reading great works of literature, apparently isn't one of those...).


My lack of home-making ability stretches to my limited skills in the kitchen. Example: My housemate Laura made BREAD today... :O (breadmaking machine, but still required far more effort than walking a minute to the local corner shop for the pre-sliced variety). Was it delicious? Yes. Was it a very thoughtful gesture? Yes. Would I likely be following in her footsteps any time soon...? Highly unlikely. I survive on two meals a day - MAX. (Soup being a staple of my supremely unbalanced diet - COSTCO SOUP TRAYS FTW!!!).


This is how I imagine I'd be if ever I were to (God forbid) redecorate.
As you can clearly see, it can only end in disaster. 
What is my point exactly...? That what I lack in homemaking skills or desire for soft-furnishings, I make up for in satirical wit, and laziness. I only see myself hanging ONE thing on my wall this year: A piece of artwork given to me by my best friends mother, in an explicit way of sparing her daughters feelings by not throwing it away... I can imagine she was pretty offended anyway, given that it was more or less described as an eyesore, that didn't match the decor of the newly refurbished entrance hall... However, I find that one can NEVER have too many artworks of a guide dog eating what I can only guess as a variety of biscuit from a table. They're the modern day equivalent of that really famous bowl of fruit... or something. I think I forgot my original point, but I really like the picture - honest :) 
Judge for yourself...? Would you have this on your wall? No question. 

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm you got the post then, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really sounds as though you're going back to basics when you've got a bread machine..

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol @second anonymous: The bread machine isn't actually mine, and it lives in the kitchen. I meant my personal uni room is "back-to-basics". Although, you're right - having a bread machine is considered a luxury. Just a luxury I see serving me no practical purpose :)

    ReplyDelete