Sunday 22 May 2011

Superpowers. I want one.

See now - why does she get to be a superhero?
She has so much... derp. 
I've never been a particularly ambitious person. In fact, far from pursuing a career in music, my career plans stretch to the soaring heights of office middle-management... (which kind of works as an antithesis to my next paragraph... I spend half my life contradicting myself it seems... :| )

From an early age, (and even now to a certain extent) I've always wanted one thing - superpowers. It might sound sad, and almost definitely sounds delusional, but I can't help it; fictitious people with superpowers are just that much cooler than regular people. I can largely attribute this desire from watching Saturday morning cartoons and the like - X-men, Superman, Batman (who I personally felt was more of a cop-out superhero - he just happens to be really rich...).

I have several obstacles standing in my way of achieving this ambition - aside from the fact that they don't actually exist. If X-men is anything to go by - and I'll admit it, I source 100% of my pre-existing knowledge of superpowers from X-men - a persons "powers"
 would manifest themselves during puberty. Something I'm not ashamed to say has already been and gone for me... (puberty - not superpowers... o.O). As saddening as this is, I may have to accept the fact that it's just not gonna happen for me. But that doesn't mean I can't continue fantasizing.

I was asking my friends last night which superpower they'd want given the opportunity (call it research, if you will). One responded with "intangibility," i.e. to become intangible and walk through solid objects. The other responded with: "to be able to transport... places." I think she meant instant teleportation of sorts, as opposed to being able to move entire locations at will (but then again, you can never be certain with her...). It made me think about the abilities I'd like to possess. I wouldn't be annoying and say "to have all powers," cause people who do that are stupid. 
Instead, I'd probably prefer to just let nature give me a power that it sees fit... although, knowing my luck I'd be one of the few completely useless superheroes... like Squirrel-Girl - with the power to speak to squirrels, or more insightfully, Cassandra (from Greek mythology). Sure - being able to predict the future's great, but useless when no one believes you... D:

Rounding up, I still haven't completely gotten over the fact that my life - in relation to comics, cartoons and films based on various superhero universe(s) - is both mundane and powerless. On some level in fact, it's probable that my ambition to pursue a future in office middle-management means that, whilst walking down the busy streets of London, in my suit and tie, and I hear a cry for help from a woman in distress who's purse has been snatched by a mugger, my superhero instincts will kick in. 



Although, I'd probably end up running into a nearby alleyway or a conveniently placed telephone box and start changing my clothes... o.O 
Now if only this was a reality, and not just a creative prank....

2 comments:

  1. Surely all of us have one thing we are good at, some of us are envious of other's talents and strive to be the same, or some will regard these talented people as big heads. But my thoughts are if you have a talent/gift or merely a special power then sharing so that others benefit in a way, then this makes you the superhero!

    ReplyDelete