Friday 20 May 2011

"Who?!" "For the last time - The SAX-ophonics..." "Ohhh...-_- "

Hi :)

This blog post features one of my new favouritist musical inspirations - The Saxophonics :) P
lease support them in their endeavours by following the link above... details of their forthcoming events are on their Facebook page. As much as I would like to dedicate this blog post entirely to them, I don't think it would necessarily apply to many people living outside the region of Hull/Humberside. Meh... 
See - this person is having fun with recorders! Why wasn't I like that?

Instead, I shall talk about my relation to music in general.

During primary school, having been forced to learn the recorder, I had a distinct dislike for music. It confused and frustrated me. I couldn't understand how people around me were translating dots on a page into coherent sound. Needless to say, it never stayed with me; my recorder days were over, and - as I thought at the time - my association with music full stop.

However, upon entering secondary school (where my form tutor was, conveniently, the head of music) my thoughts on the subject began to change. Going to form-time everyday, seeing the posters on basic musical ideas may have drifted into my subconscious - that does sound a tad like indoctrination... has my whole musical career thus far been a farce?!

Of course not... that's a ridiculous notion.

What really affirmed my change of mind,however, was seeing a member of my form play solo piano for one of those end -of-year dealios. It wasn't so much the impressive piano playing that piqued my interest (not least of all because I don't really remember the piece they played...) it was more the fact that for a few minutes or so, the whole room was focussed on one individual - concentrating fully on the things they had to say through their music.

I started piano lessons in year 8, got my grade 8 in 2009 and now study music at university. And the rest, as they say, is history. To say that I was inspired by music isn't entirely accurate. It would be more appropriate to say that I was envious of the unique and interesting skills others seem to have already possessed from an early age, and I felt it was my prerogative to "catch up" to them.

That's as good a reason as any to do a degree in music right...? :|

Also - the Saxophonics.
SUPPORT THE ARTS! That is all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment