Sunday 15 May 2011

"What's that I hear you say - a blog post about materialism?! Ground-breaking stuff!"

OK, as per the title, this blog post is centred around materialism and the retail sector in general and my experiences with it (I felt the need to comment after having been shopping today - something I do too much of recently...)


"In 2009, UK retail sales were over £285billion and are growing, despite the economic downturn in 2007. During 2010, the industry created an extra 12,750 full-time jobs, a 2.1% increase on the previous year." (source: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/industries_retail_overview.htm
See look: These people are clearly having fun shopping. What's the harm in it... ?!
(aside from them not wearing many clothes... o.O) 

For me personally, (from early childhood) shopping had been both a stressful and boring experience. Being dragged around shopping centres by embarrassing parents was seen as an essential Saturday ordeal. So when did things change for me? When did I start worrying about colour combinations of ties/shirts/trousers so much? 


This is all well and good, but it doesn't have
anything to do with... anything.
Probably sometime after I got my first part-time job. Earning money meant I could buy my own clothes, without the aforementioned "dragging." I was able to express myself through my clothes as an extension of my - as yet unformed - pre-adolescent personality.

Exacerbating this facet of my new life came university - a time of change and reformation. A chance to indulge myself in even more costly "expressions of personality." Thankfully, student loans come in handy... I have reached the point where I ask myself: "How many ties is too many ties?!" The answer is most definitely 5 (my current total), ranging from white, light grey, grey, dark grey, and black (I know you didn't ask, I'm spreading this news as a warning, not as a form of bragging).

I don't really know what I'm trying to say really... I think without realising it, I did a massive U-turn. I don't remember if the point of this post was for or against shopping. All I'm thinking about is trying on my new clothes... D:

yayy... ¬¬

(also - cats) 

No comments:

Post a Comment